Dog Naming Tips For Your Boston Terrier
Following are some dog naming tips to keep in mind when choosing a name for your new Boston Terrier. Using these dog naming tips will help you avoid the some of the things people regret most after they'Â’ve named their dog.
- Dogs with short names are easier to train.
- One or two syllable names are best, since dogs find it easier to learn short names.
- You'll spend a lot of time calling your dog, so pick a name that's easy for you to shout.
- Don't pick a name you'll be embarrassed to tell people. You and your friends might find it humorous, but what about your extended family or your boss?
- Don't choose a name that sounds like a common command like "Sit" or "Stay". It will confuse your dog when you try to train him to follow the command.
Did You Know?
More than half of all puppy and dog names are either nicknames or human names? People tend to name their animals like they would name their children.
20% of dog names are based on the dog's appearance or personality. A black dog might be named Shadow, while an active dog might be named Flash or Zippy.
- Avoid the top ten popular name list. We made this mistake with our daughter and now she's "Jessica R." in a class with "Jessica S." and "Jessica C.". And, your dog "Sam" will run off whenever he hears his name, even when he's not the "Sam" being called!
- Don't pick a name you'll have to explain every time you tell people your dog's name. It may be funny if you've read the book or seen the movie, but you'll eventually get tired of explaining it to everybody who doesn't get the 'inside joke'.
- Avoid a name that will become dated or embarrass you when the trend has faded.
- Choose a name that suits your dog's personality and behavior.
- Don't pick a name that won't suit your puppy after she grows up. "Baby" or "Tiny" may not be the best choice.
- Pick a name you like! Remember, you'll spend a lot of time with your new dog and will call him thousands of times during his lifetime, so have some fun!
Keep these dog naming tips in mind and you're sure to end up with a great name! Need some inspiration? Check out our listings of male and female puppy names.
Return from Dog Naming Tips to Finding a Boston Terrier Name
photo "Evening walk perhaps" by d70focus